In the mood for a tasty treat? This weekend I definitely was. You know me, I’m a dessert junkie. This week’s drug of choice? An family favorite… Caramel Oatmeal Bars, or as my hubby calls them – Caramel Crack, because once you start eating them, you just can’t stop!
2 sticks melted butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 cups flour
2 cups oatmeal
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 bag of chocolate chips
1 jar of caramel topping (think Smucker’s)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees, & grease a 9×13″ baking pan.
2. Combine the brown sugar, flour, oatmeal, baking soda & salt. Add melted butter & mix until “crumbly”.
3. Press HALF of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan, & bake for about 15 minutes.
4. Remove from oven & spread the ENTIRE bottle of caramel topping on top, followed by the the ENTIRE bag of chocolate chips, & then finally sprinkle the remaining prepared dough mixture over the top.
5. Continue baking for an additional 15 minutes or so, until it’s a light golden brown.
6. Once you’ve removed the caramel bars from the oven you need to let them cool & chill until the chocolate is set…. then it’s time to cut them & start feasting.
image via Anne Taintor