Disney California Adventure has a brand new, nighttime spectacular, that you definitely MUST-SEE! According to their website “The World of Color nighttime water spectacular weaves water, color, fire and light into a kaleidoscope of fantasy and imagination.” All while “more than a thousand jets of water form incredible shapes in time to the music as Disney characters come to life on a shimmering veil of mist.”
Still trying to wrap your head around that description? Try to imagine in your mind, a rainbow of lights (okay a rainbow of more than a thousand lights), add to that an amazing, precisely choreographed show filled with an incredible array of water-based special effects (think the Bellagio fountains, but on a much grander scale – there’s nearly 1,200 fountains involved folks!), and add to that a musical soundtrack & video montage featuring all of your favorite Disney animated classics which are projected on a screen of water. Yes, you read that last sentence correctly, everything & everyone from Dory, Marlin, Crush and Squirt from “Finding Nemo,” Ariel and Sebastian from “The Little Mermaid,” Woody and Buzz Lightyear from “Toy Story,” Aladdin and Jasmine from “Aladdin,” Belle and the Beast from “Beauty and the Beast,” Wall-E and Eve from “Wall-E,” Simba, Mufasa and Scar from “The Lion King” and an array of heroes, heroines and colorful villains from the vast treasury of Disney and Disney•Pixar films, are brought to life & projected onto a HUGE (sometimes 380-foot-wide) water screen. Trust me when I say, by then end of the show, your jaw will be gaping & all you’ll be able to say is “WOW!” The World of Color definitely lives up to all the hype, at least in my opinion.
So, are you ready to experience this new one-of-a-kind, nighttime spectacular for yourself? We have some tips & tricks…
* The World of Color lasts approximately 25 minutes, & has three showings almost every day at Disney California Adventure at 9pm, 10:15pm & 11:15pm. But, it’s always smart to check the daily resort calendar HERE, just to make sure there aren’t any schedule changes.
* The show is definitely “suitable for children.” In fact my boys LOVED it. But, be aware that the show is long, nearly 25 minutes, and it does contain fire, strobe effects, lasers, loud noises & rapidly changing scenes of light & dark. So, plan accordingly for your little ones. I know from experience that the combination of Disney-over-stimulation, plus a late night & a long show time can result in chaos unless I am prepared with a plan.
* Technically speaking, you can view the show from anywhere around Paradise Bay. However, for the absolutely BEST viewing experience you’ll want to take advantage of the FASTPASS Service or one of the dining packages.
* The easiest (& cheapest way) to reserve your seats for The World of Color is to take advantage of Disney’s FASTPASS Service: “Disney’s FASTPASS Service provides first-come, first-served tickets to same day showtimes for World of Color. Tickets are available when the Park opens at the Grizzly River Run FASTPASS Service machines. As with other FASTPASS attractions, a limited number of tickets are available, & guest will not be able to select a specific showtime. At your designated return time, bring your FASTPASS ticket with you to Paradise Park where Cast Members will direct you to the color-coded viewing area indicated on your ticket.”
* Planning on arriving early to ensure you get a World of Color FASTPASS? You can park in the Pumba parking lot (on Disney Way), & beginning at 7am you may gather outside the California Adventure main entrance. Once the park is opened to the public, guest who have previously been lined up for FASTPASSES will be be walked into the park, & to the FASTPASS terminals, by a cast member. By the way, the World of Color FASTPASS won’t prevent you from obtaining other FASTPASSES!
* Another “cheaper” way to obtain reserved seating is to take advantage of the World of Color Picnic Meal with Reserved Viewing. Choose from an assortment of picnics — including American, Asian and Mediterranean-inspired meals — and selections just for little ones featuring favorites like string cheese and peanut butter and jelly. Each picnic meal includes a ticket to the World of Color Reserved Viewing section in Paradise Park. All Picnic meals are $14.99, and include dessert and choice of beverage. Children’s meals include a Souvenir World of Color light-up bracelet. You can pre-order your picnics online HERE, from one-30 days in advance. Same day & phone orders are not accepted, however picnic meals with tickets to the second showtime are available for walk-up purchase, subject to availability, at the Sonoma Terrace located at the Golden Vine Winery.
* You can also enjoy “dinner & a show” with the World of Color Dinner Packages with Preferred Viewing. Full-service, prix fixe dinners are available at Ariel’s Grotto ($36.99 for adults, $20.99 for children ages 3-9) or Wine Country Trattoria ($39.99 for adults, $20.99 for children ages 3-9), which includes tickets to a preferred viewing section at Paradise Park. Reservations are recommended & can be made by calling (714)781-3463.
* If you don’t want the possibility of getting wet, you’ll want to avoid the water’s edge.
* Similar to Fantasyland attractions & Mickey’s Toontown closing prior to fireworks, some attraction will close prior to the first World of Color show. That being said, you’ll want to make sure you’ve visited the Games of the Boardwalk, California Screamin’, the Golden Zephyr, King Triton’s Carousel, Jumpin’ Jellyfish, Maliboomer, Mickey’s Fun Wheel, Mulholland Madness, Silly Symphony Swings & Toy Story Mania earlier in the day.
* Whether you check out World of Color, or not, you definitely don’t want to miss Glow Fest, the “new summer street party that features live music, performers & interactive fun!” The Dance party begins at 6pm in Sunshine Plaza and at 8:30pm the party moves to the Hollywood Pictures Backlot and lasts until the park closes.
For a sneak peak at the latest (& definitely greatest) nighttime spectacular to grace the Disney Parks, & to check out some of the “behind the scenes action”, check out these videos…
image via Angry Julie Monday
No compensation, of any kind, was received for this post. Although, Just Spotted were invited guests of Disney California Adventure, & were provided entrance passes to the VIP Premiere of the World of Color. However, we would have posted about the World of Color had we been invited to this grand party or not. In the end, the opinions represented here are 100% those of Just Spotted, and just for the record – The World of Color is going to rock your world.