Welcome to 12 for Tuesday, where we highlight 12 fabulous finds in (& around) Orange County. This week’s list is a bit of a selfish endeavor. See, I have this thing for pebble ice. You might even say I have a crush on crushed ice. Yes, it’s true – I’m totally & completely addicted to pellet ice. In fact, I have been known to go out of my way to find a restaurant that will will fill my cup (to the rim) with crushed ice, & just a dash of soda. With my own personal cravings in mind, this week’s list features 12 14 places locally, where I can feed my chewable ice addiction. Secretly, I’m hoping that YOU know of a place or two that didn’t make my list… so please. If I’ve left any crushed ice resource off the list, please comment below with your additions & suggestions!
1. AM PM Convenience Stores
2. Bruxie Gourmet Waffle Sandwiches: Orange
3. Cafe Rio: Costa Mesa, Lake Forest, Tustin
4. Claim Jumper: Brea, Buena Park, Costa Mesa, Fountain Valley, Long Beach, Mission Viejo & Santa Ana (ask for it – they have in in the bar & it’s generally used for some of their alcoholic drinks)
5. George’s Mexican Food: Huntington Beach
6. Houston’s: Irvine (ask for it – they have in in the bar & it’s generally used for some of their alcoholic drinks)
7. Johnny’s Burgers: Santa Ana
8. Lee’s Sandwiches: Fountain Valley, Fullerton, Garden Grove, Irvine, Lake Forest, Stanton, Westminster
9. Native Foods Cafe: Aliso Viejo, Costa Mesa, Tustin
10. Red Brick Pizza: Buena Park, Irvine, Foothill Ranch, Long Beach, Tustin
11. Sonic: Anaheim, Mission Viejo, Santa Ana
12. Thai Spice: Irvine, Santa Ana
13. TK Burgers: Costa Mesa, Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Mission Viejo
14. Troy’s Drive In: Orange
* Now I can’t attest to all locations of all chains having crushed ice, but most of the time they do. If it’s DIY fountain drinks & crushed ice isn’t being produced from the ice dispenser – ask. I’ve learned, from experience, that they often have it behind the counter.
* Costco: Most locations have “chewable” ice machine in the food court. It’s not exactly your typical crushed ice, but it is still pretty fabulous.
* Coffee Houses: I’ve learned that many coffee houses use crushed ice for their iced drinks, & if you ask, generally they are willing to give you a cup (or two) full.
As I mentioned before, I’m secretly hoping that I’m not the only one craving crushed ice. Where do YOU get your crushed ice fix in Orange County?