I’m sure you know that there are several amazing California aquariums…. but there’s only a few places in Orange County where you can get up close & personal with marine life – and the Ocean Institute is one such place. But before you pack up the kids & head to Dana Point here’s the nitty-gritty details on the Ocean Institute.
What is the Ocean Institute Experience? During the week, the Ocean Institute is closed to they public as they teach school children about ocean science and maritime history. However, on the weekends, 10 am – 3 pm, the Ocean Institute is open up to the general public. During this time you can enjoy hundreds of marine animals in aquaria, participate in their feedings, and enjoy exhibits and activities involving our oceans. But that’s not all, they also have tall ship and marine mammal (whale watching) cruises.
Pertinent Details & Information:
* Ideal child age range: children of all ages may attend the Ocean Institute; children as young as 4 can go on cruises; there are marine science programs for children as young as 5; & the Ocean Institute has age appropriate programs for kids up to age 17.
* Location: 24200 Dana Point Harbor Drive, Dana Point, CA 92629.
* Hours: Weekends 10 am – 3 pm
* Price: Weekend admission is $4.50 children (ages 3-12) and $6.50 adults. FREE admission for Ocean Institute members & children 2 and under.
* Additional Activity Fees: Cruises and special programs are an extra charge. A Marine Mammal Cruise, for example, is $35 adults, $22 children. A week-long summer Sea Squirts Camp for ages 5 & 6, for example, is $160.
Connect with the Ocean Institute
images & video of California Aquariums, provided by Ocean Institute.