The 10th annual Festival of Children kicked off this month. The festival, happening throughout the entire month of September at South Coast Plazawill feature 80 children’s charities which will be on hand to showcase the work they are doing for children within the community. Over 100 FREE family activities and events, including live music and dance performances, a back-to-school fashion show, arts and crafts, animal shows, face painting, skateboarding, and more, while showcasing over 75 youth-serving organizations in the community. For the schedule of month-long events, go HERE.
Some special events you might want to take special notice of are:
* LEGO – Throughout September – Visit the LEGO store and make a $5 donation to Festival of Children Foundation, and be entered to win a motorized LEGO Grand Carousel set. Create and take home a LEGO horse and rider too.
* Judith Leiber – Throughout September – Judith Leiber has created a one-of-a-kind handbag to benefit Festival of Children Foundation. The crystal minaudiere features the artwork of the Foundation’s carousel horse. Opportunity drawing tickets will be sold for $100 each in the Judith Leiber boutique throughout September until all 100 tickets are sold. Winner will be chosen on September 29.
* Canstruction OC – September 3-25 – Guests will be awestruck viewing 15 amazing structures made entirely out of canned food. At the conclusion of the Festival, the structures are dismantled resulting in over 60,000 canned food items donated to the Orange County Food Bank.
* Coffee, Tea, Mommy & Me – Fridays in September at 11am – Educational talks about home safety, car seat safety, nutrition and water safety, followed by an arts & crafts activity. Coffee provided by Starbucks. Sponsored by AmeriKidz.
* Toyota Ride & Drive – Saturdays & Sundays in September – Be among the first to test drive the 2012 Camry and Prius v, a new member of the Prius family and receive a $5 gift card to Wahoo’s Fish Taco.
* Element Equinox Festival presented by Beachworks – September 24 from 1-5pm – South Coast Plaza’s parking lot will be transformed into a skate park and open to the public. There’s a best trick contest with a prize purse of $1000, followed by a skate demo from Element’s skate team. Later, meet the team in the Beachworks store at South Coast Plaza.
* Learn How To Draw With Drew Brophy – September 25 from Noon – 3pm – Drew is internationally known for his vivid and unique surf-themed designs. His artwork can be seen on everything from surfboards and skateboards to clothing and fabric designs. Working from pages out of his book “How To Draw with Drew Brophy,” Drew will show kids how to draw some of his favorite fish characters, beach scenes and other elements like flames, flowers and custom lettering. Drew says it’s his job to “make things look cool.”
The Festival of Children’s Foundation is an organization dedicated to improving the lives of children by strengthening the charities that serve them. In an effort to provide every child access to the arts, education, the environment, health care & social services the Festival of Children’s Foundation offers resources, support & direct grants to more than 300 children’s charities and youth organizations. The foundation also organizes several program, such as the Festival of Children, that directly benefit children, families & the community. For more information, watch the following video:
What: Festival of Children
When: The entire month of September, see the schedule of events HERE.
Where: South Coast Plaza
image via Festival of Children.